Written By Health Coach Nick Deck
As of lately, the focus of my blog articles has been to help my readers feel as good as possible both inside and out. After discussing things like holiday recipes and weight loss tips, I thought it was important for me to touch on skin. Your face is typically the first thing people see, so why not make it look radiant and youthful all year around. Here are some quick tips to help you achieve healthy, beautiful skin that glows.
1. Hydrate Everything! This takes more that 6-8 glasses of water per day – you actually want to have a water-rich, hydrating diet. Build your meals around vegetables and fruits choosing more raw food than cooked. Water-rich salads, vegetables, juicy ripe fruit, smoothies and fresh vegetable juices are great options. Pure water should still be your go-to beverage and the first thing you drink upon waking in the morning, but feel free to jazz it up with lemons and limes and/or fresh herbs. Staying hydrated also supports detoxification and helps to keep things moving smoothly all the way through, if you know what I mean. Congestion and stagnancy on the inside will only manifest as skin distress on the outside.
2. Breathe and Sweat. Maximize oxygen flow to your cells and increase your life force by moving your body each and every day. Getting physical stimulates the lymphatic system and promotes the release of toxins through the skin (our largest detox organ) when we sweat. Deep breathing in the open fresh air is always preferred to the stale, enclosed air at the gym, so when you have the opportunity to take your workout outdoors go for it! I know that whenever I go for a nice long walk outside in the fresh air I can’t help but notice that my skin almost always looks more refreshed and rejuvenated afterwards.
3. Consume Healthy Fats. This is internal lube for your skin! Every cell membrane in your body is made up of the fats you ingest so be sure to eat only the best quality ones. Think fatty-fish like salmon and mackerel, raw nuts and seeds, coconuts and the oil and butter made from them, olives, and of course the beloved avocado. Avoid fried and damaged fats. Even the best quality oils can wreak havoc if they’re rancid or heated – which includes most vegetable oils, including those found in packaged foods.
4. Improve Digestion. If your digestion is out of whack you won’t be absorbing all the wonderful nutrients needed for beautiful skin, such as Vitamins A, C, E, selenium, zinc, and those healthy fats mentioned above. I know that this is a giant topic and one that encompasses many different elements.
5. Get Your Beauty Sleep. Aim for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. Your body needs this precious time for cellular repair and regeneration. Your body can probably contend with a few late nights if you’re doing everything else right, but if you are constantly skimping on sleep this is a great way to accelerate the aging process. Stress also plays a big role and can manifest in fine lines and wrinkles. Take some time to relax each day, whether it’s a yoga class, a rejuvenating walk outside in the fresh air, or a guided meditation. Do whatever allows you to stay calm and enjoy your day.