Everything that we have learned until now about resumes may be false. Experts in the field of recruiting, just like us, have done their research and found the truth about what can make or break a resume.
On a scale of 1 to very important, we have found that Work Experience, Skills, and Presentation far exceed Education/Training, Sense of Personality, and Extra-Curriculars. While all of those things are very important, studies show that employers seem to be drawn to specific areas on a resume first before all else.
Many employers and recruiters receive an abundance of resumes for each job opening. A pole was taken on this topic and they found that due to such high volumes in applicant resumes almost half of the respondents scan or speed-read resumes, and a quarter of them skip everything and go straight to the important stuff. Most look for keywords and move quickly in search of something that stands out to them. In short, the job seeker should have something very impressive and relevant to say within the first half of the page.
Here are a few tips to help your resume go from a “6” to a “10” and to ensure that you stand out from the rest!
- Don’t lie on your resume
- Spelling/Grammar errors are unforgivable
- Gaps in work history are not favorable and should be explained
- Make your resume presentable and appealing
- Be clear, concise, and professional
- Make it relevant to the job you are applying for
- Focus on capturing the reader’s attention
- Your resume can be more than one page! Just make sure that it’s important enough information to have 2 pages.
At Hire Up Staffing, we are dedicated to finding the right job for you. As experts in professional resume building, we would like to offer FREE RESUME ADVICE!
Contact one of our Staffing Agents today! (559) 597-1331
Referenced Article: www.staffingtalk.com/recruiters-weigh-in-on-resumes/